Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sisterhood



Last night I had an incredible experience.  Three women shared an evening of sacred friendship with me in a way that I have never been touched before.  It was an evening of healing and love, of spiritual connection that has left me with increased peace and strength.

It started with a phone call and an offer to bring dinner and then do a guided meditation for healing.  I’ve mediated on and off for years and doing this with friends was something that I thought would be both interesting and expanding.  Also a bit of a mystery, since these are not women I have spent much time with.  It’s more of a felt connection that we have not acted on until last night.

I did not expect the emotional response that I had to their offers of total focus on me and on my “greater good.”  First of all, each of them brought home made food that was delicious and meant to be shared.  A nutritious chicken vegetable soup, garlic bread made with garden herbs, a wonderful Greek Salad, the perfect start to a warm evening of shared experience.  The dinner conversation was social, but intimate.  The level of caring for each other and for me was palpable as we ate a simple, but exquisite dinner.

As we finished eating, we moved to the comfort of the family room where candles were lit and music played softly.  We moved into a more meditative, or sacred space as we each expressed gratitude and hope.  Then, MJ led us in a guided meditation for healing that surpasses any that I have ever experienced.  As the focus of the meditation, I was tucked under an afghan on the couch, while the others sat around me in support.  My eyes were closed, but I was able to feel the energy in the room, more energy than was supplied by the four of us.  There clearly was a presence of Spirit, of Angels, of family and friends who are watching over me.  Tears were running down my cheeks as we moved through this exercise.  I could feel vibrations; I could see wisps of color.  I felt peaceful and loved.

The meditation ended and the sense of peace prevailed.  We talked about the experience and how it affected each of us; it was powerful for everyone there.  As we opened the circle and moved back into reality, each of the women chose a small stone with a word inscribed and gave them to me…dream, hope, and create.  My instructions, mantras for my life. 

And then we had cookies!  They were yummy oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips and craisans.  It was the perfect way to end the evening of depth and sisterhood and nurturing.  What can be more nurturing than an evening with women whose sole purpose of that evening was to share themselves and their gifts.

Reflections:

I am not moved lightly.  As I think about connecting with angels and see wisps of light, it makes me wonder what changes are being wrought here.  I’m that practical gal, right?  But maybe I’m both, maybe one of the gifts of this illness is an opening to other ways of being and of seeing the world.  It certainly is teaching me lessons about being in control, about letting others help and support me. Perhaps it is expanding my awareness of the Spiritual as well.  As I hope and dream and create, it will be with an expanded openness to the new and the diverse. This experience has made more things possible and I feel blessed by new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment