Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow Gary and I leave for California where we will spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my sister’s family.  This is going to be a different Thanksgiving experience; I’ve spent most of the last 61 of them in my little hometown with immediate family.  My job was to bring the pies and the Jello salad and the wine.  This year we will be with my brother in law’s family, my nephews and their growing families will be part of the crowd.  Since flying with Jello is not a wise idea, I am on the clean-up committee.

While the venue will change, the main difference will be my very different way of looking at being thankful.  So much of what I took for granted in the past will this year be those things that I see as blessings.  It starts with family and all of those I hold dear and includes my feeling great and having the energy to enjoy this trip.  Every day I think about my good fortune, to be able to enjoy a lifetime rich with friendships and adventure.

I look forward to driving up Highway 1, that road with the most dramatic views of any I’ve traveled.  To San Francisco, where everything seems exciting and the seafood is fresh, I am excited about riding the cable car and walking on Fisherman’s Wharf. I am thankful for the ability to have this experience and to share it.

I listened to a quote today that talked about looking at each day with wonder, as if it were the first day of your life, and with appreciation, as if it were your last.  What a great way to view the world.  To have that ability to be amazed and moved by a sunset over the Pacific Ocean (tomorrow night over wine at my nephew and his wife’s home) and to celebrate and treasure every gift that the days ahead bring us. 

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.  Look for reasons to be grateful.

You are welcome to take the opportunity to comment on this blog with a 
 private email at jodiekacer@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment