Saturday, November 19, 2011

Good News

Yesterday I referred to “cautious optimism” regarding my health.    Today I will do my best to explain why we are somewhat more optimistic and how that roller coaster is taking me back up. 

As my oncologist was exploring the possibility of me entering clinical trials due to some disturbing spots that had appeared on my bones and activity in the tumor on my lung, he spoke with a leader in Tarceva research at M.D. Anderson Cancer Research Center in Texas.  He prefaced our conversation with “This is good news.” That is something I always like to hear!   The physician told him that the spots may in fact be signs of healing, scar tissue, and not new growth.  He advised that we wait until another scan is done in early January before making any changes.     Even better news is that a second doctor at Sloan Kettering concurred.

So, once again the roller coaster is sending me on a wild ride.  I’m thrilled that we can say “experts” feel that the Tarceva may still be working.  I’m also reminded that medicine, especially Oncology, is not an exact science.  I’m hopeful, I’m optimistic, I’m visualizing the cancer cells being taken over by healthy tissue, and I’m praying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment