Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Side Effects

Tarceva is a wonder drug.  It is one of a class of cancer fighting agents that are called targeted therapy and they are designed to attack cancer cells in a way that is more discriminating than some of the other chemotherapy agents that can wreak havoc with the entire body.  I am thrilled to say that during my four months on Tarceva I have felt good, none of those horror stories I’ve heard from people on “Chemo” seem to apply to my case.  I’ve been fortunate.

That said, there are some interesting changes and annoying side effects from this drug which is fighting the cancer in my lungs and elsewhere.  First came the dry skin, kind of like an alligator’s.  To address this, physicians recommend Eucerin, similar in consistency to Crisco, to keep the skin soft.  This or another highly emollient lotion is applied twice a day.  I’ve come to terms with feeling kind of sticky and greasy most of the time. 

Next was the disconcerting appearance of a moustache, not uncommon in sixty-plus women, but distressing none the less.  I am now dealing with visible facial hair which has to be removed regularly.  By the way, there are little battery powered “trimmers” which cope well with this unsightly issue and they even come in feminine colors at your local drugstore  Because of the drying skin and associated sensitivity, it is not recommended that waxing or depilatories be used.

It is not just the upper lip that is affected here, on a recent Friday evening (it’s always on Friday) I felt like there was a grain of sand in my eye.  On closer inspection it appeared that an eyelash was growing down, and curling backward into my eye instead of curling up.  A call to the local ophthalmologist resulted in advice to use a lubricating drop to prevent a corneal scratch and come to the office for removal after the weekend.  Five of these errant lashes were removed after a fairly uncomfortable weekend.  And, as if that isn’t enough, my eyebrows are growing thicker and longer, think a feminine version of Andy Rooney. Vanity demands constant vigilance and a good pair of tweezers.

It is not just the hair issues that are distressing.  I’ve also become more prone to infections like an infected index finger that has plagued me for almost a month.  Two trials of antibiotics and an antifungal have improved the condition, but the finger remains tender and ugly.  Part of the dry skin issue is that the cuticle dries out and hangnails form, then become infected.  Using a highly protective moisturizing agent like Aquaphor several times a day is about the only thing that keeps this under control.

Also under the heading of infections is the need to be reasonable in avoiding situations where germs abound.  While Tarceva does not deplete the immune system to the extent of other chemotherapies, there is some increased susceptibility. I have had an ear infection and currently am coughing and sniffling with a cold in spite of being careful.  Good hand washing is a primary way of germ avoidance, but a couple of other pointers have come my way recently.  The dirtiest things we touch apparently include the gas pump, shopping cart handles (with more e-coli than a toilet seat according to a Today Show guest) and faucets and door handles in public rest rooms (use paper towels as a barrier).  Don’t kiss someone with a cold no matter how cute they are and carry hand sanitizer for those times you can’t wash your hands.

What I will clearly say is that these side effects, while mildly annoying, are easy to live with when the alternative is considered.  Of course the Tarceva is fighting my cancer cells and to have the energy and this level of comfort is wonderful.  The lack of some of the serious side effects of traditional chemo has me feeling very grateful.  Using common sense and making healthy lifestyle choices can eliminate some of the side effects or at least lessen their severity.  As I learn how to manage not only this disease, but everything that comes with it, it becomes clearer that I need to take care of myself in ways that were not part of my awareness before.

  For others in similar situations, I encourage you to explore what you can do not just to increase your level of comfort, but also to avoid the potential for serious complications.  In doing so, my hope is that we can make our lives more productive and pleasurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment