Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hope and Fear - Can they Co-Exist?

Since the name of this blog is “Hope,” it feels strange to focus on fear as I did yesterday.  Ever since writing it, I’ve been thinking of how the two can link together.  An email from a friend, a blog comment and a long walk this morning have given me pause for reflection, and perhaps some answers.

In her email, my friend Lea suggests talking through those fears that haunt the dark hours of the morning rather than diverting attention elsewhere. There is value in facing and sharing our fears.  I’m not good at that, being vulnerable is not in my comfort zone.  While I would welcome the call from a friend in need, regardless of the hour, I’m just not good at saying, “I’m scared, can we talk?”  Just writing the words brings tears to my eyes.

Another friend, Jack (whose blog, http://www.gardensatwaterseast.blogspot.com/ you should visit), encourages learning from the moment and listening to the lessons that these, even painful, times bring us.  Read his full comments under the September 28th entry below and know that focus on this moment, on what lessons it offers, is what we may need to rediscover the hope beyond the fear.

The lesson is that, if we let them, friends can be an incredible support for us during those times when we find ourselves in the depths of our struggles.  Hope does not always mean that we are going to get the outcome we wish for, sometimes it can mean that we share the burden and it feels lighter.  Sometimes it can be the recognition that people who love us will be by our sides through the worst of times.  While I visualize, hope and pray for a healthy future, my strongest hope is that I will have the love and support of family and friends regardless what the future holds.

In this case, two dear friends helped me through a difficult time.  It is naïve to think that more challenges will not be faced on this journey, but I feel that I am better prepared to face what comes as I remember the wisdom they shared.

You are welcome to take the opportunity to comment on this blog
or leave a private email at jodiekacer@aol.com

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Jodie! I think about you often and appreciate that you are sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete