Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A House Full of Visitors

October has flown by in a whirl of company and fall projects.  While I certainly enjoyed our adult visitors, having my grand-niece and nephew in the house for a six day visit was a delight.  Michael is 5 and his sister Brianna is 3.   They are cute and smart and fun.  During their trip (which did include their mother and father) we explored the Tweetsie Railroad, a steam train that runs in an amusement park in the Blueridge Mountains, we spent time at other kid related venues, and I got lots of snuggles.  The best part of having kids in the house was seeing the absolute joy that they both see in life.   The look of pure delight as Gary helped Michael steer the boat into the slip or the giggles as Bri discovered my exercise ball, her favorite toy for most of the visit.


This visit came to be when in a weak moment I bought my nephew a “Mario Andretti Experience,” the chance to drive a race car around the NASCAR track at over 160 miles an hour.  When the time came for him to lower himself into that tiny little car, I thought I must have been crazy, but he loved it and I, amazingly, enjoyed watching him zoom around.  And … when will I ever be in the pits of the Charlotte Speedway again?  It was an adventure.

In the midst of their son’s visit, my brother and sister-in-law “dropped in” on their way home from a visit with their other son in Virginia (only six or eight hours out of their way) so we had three generations of family overnight.

We had other guests this month as well, the woman who hired me at Theda Clark Hospital almost 35 years ago stopped by with her husband for a couple of days on their way from Wisconsin to Florida.  Nancy and Jim have been great friends for decades and it was a delight to catch up on their lives, to share a boat ride, and just to relax and visit.  I have a watercolor that Nancy painted and every time I glance at it I smile, thinking of the friendship that it represents.

This morning my final October guest left for her winter home in Alabama.  Marsha and I have been friends starting in kindergarten and over the past 55 years that friendship has remained strong.  This was her first visit to my North Carolina home, and it was wonderful to share these days with her.

As this month nears its end, as the days shorten, I feel that contentment that comes with the more reflective days of autumn.  Again I am reminded of the role that family and friends play in my life, how important it is to spend time with those whose lives have been intertwined with mine for decades.  I feel so fortunate.

Lesson Learned Again:  Fill your life with the positive energy of friends and family, they bring joy and healing.

You are welcome to take the opportunity to comment on this blog

or leave a private email at jodiekacer@aol.com

1 comment:

  1. Family can do lots of good when we are in difficult places. I am glad you enjoyed your time. Sounds like it was a great time - even at 160 miles an hour! Jack

    ReplyDelete