Thursday, February 16, 2012

Immune System Issues

Today and through the next several days is the time that I’m told my immune system is at its weakest point.  My oncologist has cautioned me to pay attention to this in spite of the immune boosting shot that will give me added protection.  I’ve had a couple of nasty colds this winter prior to the chemo and spent several days on an antibiotic when he felt I may have been at risk for more serious illness.  This is also cold and flu season in North Carolina, the crazy winter (or lack thereof) seems to have increased the bugs that are circulating.

So, how does a normally social being (me) cope with enforced isolation?  This morning it was by getting seriously bummed by the decision to miss the Winston-Salem Pops Concert this weekend.  We were looking forward to dinner on the town and then the fun of the Symphony playing the Beatles, the music of our youth.  This weekend it will be disappointment over not attending church services and the associated coffee hour for catching up with friends.  Little things like grocery shopping and lunching with friends will be put on hold.  I will be a homebody.

An interesting aside comes from an article I read recently on germ sources.  Be warned.  First and foremost are public restrooms where toilets without covers spew e-coli in an eight foot range.  I found that particularly disgusting. The flushing device is bacteria laden, the seat is dirty and the lock on the stall is filthy.  Never put your purse on the floor of the stall.  Beware of faucet handles.  Wash your hands well with soap and hot water.  If that isn’t enough, a high percentage of people do not wash their hands, so door handles are contaminated as they leave.  Use the paper towel to protect your hands from the handle as you exit.  The next two items on the list are grocery carts and gas pump handles.  I’m now using those sanitizing wipes offered at the grocery and washing my hands first thing when I get in the house.  I also keep a little bottle of Purel in my purse for de-germing on the go.  My other new habit is to wipe down door handles, light switches, remote controls, the phone and computer keyboards and mouse.  I also wipe my steering wheel. 

Does this sound like I’m developing a germ phobic obsession?  I think it’s true.

The key with people contact is to be alert to anyone who shows obvious signs of illness and avoid them, but also avoid crowded places where airborne bugs may be flying around.  Thus, the church, the concert, but also schools, the YMCA and anywhere that little kids have a presence.  Stay away from restaurants that have buffet style service or a salad bar.  The “sneeze guards” are not terribly effective and food handling and temperatures can be an issue with that type of service.  

In your own kitchen, probably the dirtiest thing is your dishcloth or sponge.  Change it daily or sanitize in the microwave for at least one minute.  Also, throw away any food that is beyond its date stamp.  Don’t take the risk of a food borne illness, that is miserable and we are susceptible.  Especially if you have issues with your immune system, but also to be prudent, just use good judgment and you can cut your chances of being ill.

That is the end of my lecture on health, but it still doesn’t address what to do to avoid “cabin fever.”  Here’s what I’ve done so far. 

First, I loaded up on groceries for fun cooking adventures that are a bit more elaborate than my usual style.  I’m not going to work my way through “The Art of French Cooking,” but I did buy the ingredients for Boeuf Bourguignon, chocolate chip cookies, and several other favorites. We will be well fed.  I have a big stack of books to read, have taped some TV shows, made a list of movies to rent.  That will offer some diversion.  Additionally, I’m committed to keeping up with email and at least one or two phone calls to friends and family, and watch the news every day so I don’t lose track of the world.  In the worst case, I have some cleaning and yard projects that could consume a fair amount of time.  My intent is to keep my exercise routine in place and I picked up a couple of new meditation tapes for variety. 

My hope is that this is enough, and if I get bored we can take a ride or visit friends who swear they feel healthy.  As I type this, I’m looking out at a rainy day, but the ducks are swimming in Lake Norman, the birds are singing and tomorrow the weatherman promises sun.  In the big picture, a bit of boredom and disappointment over a concert is a small price to pay.  My choice is to give up a bit of the freedom and increase my chances of good health. 

2 comments:

  1. Jodie,
    One of my friends worked through the whole book - Art of French Cooking. That would be my type of "having to stay in the house". You know I love to eat!
    After reading your list of what to watch out for in bathrooms, cars, stores, I am now paranoid. I just went to the store and gas station today - ouch!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wash your hands!! And, keep a bottle of Purel in your car. It's kind of gross, isn't it.

      Delete